Wednesday, April 04, 2007

We should write a book.

On parenting. That is what S's teacher said at her conference with my husband this morning. I'm so proud of her. Knowing your child is smart, helpful, organized, attentive and a role model for other students to emulate is like winning the lottery. I can't even begin to put into words how happy I am with her.

I know we got lucky in many ways. My daughter is who she is just because, but as her parents we do get to take a little credit. I love who she is blossoming into. Her ability to empathize and show kindness to others, but most of all her genuine humility and giant heart bring me to my knees with respect and admiration.

I've said more than once that I see myself in this child. Sure, there's no mistaking she belongs to me, anyone can take one sideways glance at her and pick me out of a large crowd as her mother. It's her likeness inside that has surprised me. How closely she resembles a younger version of myself that renders me speechless daily. And I don't mean that I am/was all those things I just described, I just mean that our personalities are nearly one in the same. I'm wierd, she's wierd, I'm shy, she's shy sort of thing.

I smile inside and am grateful that with her I can make a difference. She is nurtured and deeply loved. Her father hangs on her every word and her mother is always available. She is encouraged and stimulated as an individual. We have gently prodded the insecurity in her and turned it into quiet confidence. She believes in herself and her abilities but isn't too flashy about it.

For instance.

She hugged a boy in school one day, a boy that has behavioral issues. Why? Because he got a gold star two days in a row and she was so proud of him. She told me because she almost kissed him on the cheek by accident and wanted to make sure I knew that she didn't kiss him, only hugged.

She encouraged and praised another kid for a reward that she didn't need or want to receive. For a seven year old kid in this day and age, I think that is amazing.

I won't lie, she has her days. She's not always a shining example. Trust me. But I love, love, love who she is when I'm not looking.


Am I a good mother? Sure, I think so. But she's a good kid, this I know for sure.


3 comments:

Renée said...

Aw....it was so nice to read about your daughter and who she's becoming. I'm really proud of her too! Btw, does she like Junie B. Jones?

mama said...

Thanks Renee...I liked writing about her.

To answer your question...she LOVES Junie B. Jones and secretly, I do to. :-)

mama said...

too even