Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ramblings

Alan Jackson's song Remember When makes me cry like a baby every freaking time I hear it.

Especially this part.....

Remember when thirty seemed so old
Now lookin back It's just a stepping stone
To where we are where we've been
We said we'd do it all again
Remember when

Remember when
We said when we turned gray
When the children grow up and move away
We wont be sad; we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when

Remember when
Remember when

Marriage and parenting is tough sometimes, but it's songs like this that make it abundantly clear just how much of a reward it actually is.

I have no idea why this song still gets me where it counts. I guess maybe because a couple of years ago my marriage was going through one of it's rocky periods. It was bad enough, and I naive enough, to think that it could have been the end. This song (and a good year of therapy) brought my heart back in line and reminded me what loving someone for richer or for poorer really meant. I hear this song and I see our past, present, and future. I cry tears of sadness for those days I let slip away not realizing how wonderful I have it, or those moments we have yet to live through that I just know will open flood gates. Then tears of happiness for all the moments I am deliriously aware of just how blessed I truly am, along with all the joys I have yet to experience with my best friend.

I know this is a tad mushy. I just can't help but feel extremely grateful for the relationship I have and the family that I've been blessed with. Whether it be the over abundance of hormones surging through me, or just overall stress of life, I've been feeling way too sorry for myself as of late. It's nice to come back to earth and remember how much I have been given. I'm a lucky dog, I know this. I need to believe that more often.

No comments: