Thursday, October 02, 2008

Overwhelmed?

Are you kidding me? Overwhelmed, over stressed, over worked, under appreciated, sleep deprived are just a few words that describe most mothers. If you can't admit to any or all of these than you can add one more descriptor to your profile.

In denial.

Life happens and it can be so difficult with the pressures of reaching perfection and keeping up with the over achievers that we forget about the important things. Even more challenging is admitting to yourself when you just can't do it all.

Oprah's topic on her Wednesday's show was about exactly that. America's mothers are under an extreme amount of pressure to exceed in all aspects of life. Having the perfect career, being the perfect mother, being the best cook, the best wife, the Mrs. fix-it all and look good while doing it. This type of standard is insane to live up to. And I'm pissed about it.

What's the price for aiming too high? The woman who appeared on Oprah paid the price of her daughter's life. I can't even imagine or put myself in that place, but you know what? A time or two that could be me. Life is distracting. There is so much to do and so little time to do it all that sometimes your priorities slip a little bit. This kid has a poopy diaper and the door isn't locked and the curious one ends up on your front lawn, just feet away from a busy road before you scoop her up in your arms. Or you gently lift your baby out of her bath tub and by request you leave the water there for your oldest to play in and the toddler ends up in it face first. And she can't get out. And she can't breath and the only reason she is still around is because her sister was there to help her out.

I'm not even kidding. Both of these have happened to me.

My first reaction two years ago to someone losing their kid to negligence was a harsh judgement. What horrible parent would put their child in danger. My tune has since changed.

No parent wants that to be the one. No parent wants to be so busy they forget their baby is in the car but it happens.

The funny thing about the show for me was that I had a similar mental conversation with myself that morning. I was wondering how people do it. How do people create the perfect world and hold it all together while the souffle is in the oven? When does the souffle fall? Am I so inept at being a mother?

I have all I can handle at the moment with a household of three children, a husband working on his doctorate and a small daycare business on the side to make ends meet. And I have to tell you, it's tough. It is hard to keep the house clean, the laundry done, the dinners cooked and the husband satisfied all the while raising three kids. Two of whom are under two, another with nightly homework duties and a whole set of her own needs to be met. Add three more kids for daycare every afternoon and it's nothing short of exhausting. There really isn't time left for the extra's all the time.

There comes a time when you have to say enough is enough. Slow your roll a little bit mom because you're making the rest of us look like shit. Set some priorities. Say no once in a while. Go see a movie and eat buttered popcorn. Sit down and braid your daughters hair. That expense report will be there when you're done. That laundry will wait until able hands are ready to fold it.

Then maybe there will be less mistakes. Then our overwhelmed will be content. Then our over worked will be rested. Then our stress will become ease. And maybe then life can start to take on a different description.

Happy.

Isn't that what we're all trying so hard to accomplish anyway?

1 comment:

Renée said...

I do this to myself all the time Ropa. I'll be headed out to the grocery store or a soccer game and by the actual time I get into the car with three kids I'm anxious wreck? Why? Because I've had lists to make, boots to tie, water bottles to fill, papers to sign, crockpot to fill, butts to wipe and lest I forget: cover-up to put under my eyes and hair to straighten because God forbid I go anywhere looking like a tired, unkempt (read: average, normal) mother. I'm constantly worried that my appearance my show the tell-tale signs that I'm overtired and stressed, and therefore not perfect.

So we put on our happy faces and walk in smiling while holding a pan of freshly baked muffins. Meanwhile we're *all* falling to pieces inside.

I don't know how to stop it. I don't know how to drop out of the rat race and let myself just be a little less than perfect.

I do it too. (((friend))) but it's something that still needs to be discussed.

xoxo